Thursday, September 8, 2011

Web

Oops writing that last post almost made me forget about writing about the Stac wall. It was different from what I pictured in my head, but I expected it to be different so maybe it was exactly what I pictured in my head. Initially I pictured it as if one person created it uniformly, spaced out evenly like factory made wallpaper. But I soon realized that since a group of 36 individuals were going to be creating it, it would look like the product of 36 different personalities, and so I stopped trying to picture what it would look like at the end. It was interesting to see how someone's handwriting shows how they are as a person. The quiet people in the class had smaller handwriting and small spaces in between words while the more outgoing ones had bigger bolder and more spaced out writing. Organized straight lines for organized focused people. A web of crossed over lines represented those who are unpredictable and all over the place. Some webs kept to themselves as did their owners, while others branched out and connected like the relationship between those who created them. The few words we used seem to sum up our entire lives. It is beautiful in a very simple way. I don't know how long that will last.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I tried to comment before but it didnt work so hopefully it'll work this time...
    I absolutley loved what you said about peoples handwriting. I didn't even think about that before but it's so true! On thursday when I was looking at the wall all I was focusing on was the actual words, but now I'm looking forward to looking at the wall from this new point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The few words we used seem to sum up our entire lives. It is beautiful in a very simple way. I don't know how long that will last."

    Thats actually hauntingly beautiful. I can see where this is coming from. Being a senior, you are on the brink of major changes in your life, which will take your simplistic high school life and turn it on its ass. But it doesn't mean that the beauty of chaos will be less that the beauty of simplicity, just different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I can add much to this whole thing - it's already so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pretty much the opposite for me. When the project was intially explained to me I didn't think about how it looked as a whole. Instead, I only thought about what mine would look like and what my experience would be like. However, when we connected our webs together, I saw past just my experience and realized that it was much bigger than me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool that you noticed that. I think maybe if someone tried to differentiate between newbie mural writing and oldie mural writing, they would come across something. I know that I, being a newbie, was kinda scared of fucking up the technical aspects of it, like the straightness of the lines or the half inch sizing of each word. I was scared of being wrong or unacceptable or being yelled at by Luke.
    It's so different than regular school where what the teacher says is martial law and that's that. It's also hard and scary to accept that Luke can only be a guide as we try to find whatever we're looking for. There will be no spoonfed answers and, self-determination is an unfamiliar power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It's also hard and scary to accept that Luke can only be a guide as we try to find whatever we're looking for."

    Oh my! I feel so important reading this. Usually, I feel like a gameshow host! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete