Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Today, I kept thinking back to my first acting class when I was a freshmen. I compared everything. While acting and the method by which I am taught acting has stayed the same, acting is completely different to me now. I am a different actress. I remember hearing most of what Luke said today four years ago, but I heard it differently this time. Now I understand. I used to try to "act" like I understood, make myself believe I was getting it. I wasn't. There's a difference between acting or pretending and actually feeling and thinking. Viviana asked me how you can feel and think in a scene where the circumstances are so far away from what you usually feel and think. How can you act like a grieving mother if you've never had kids? I didn't have a good answer for her then. Now, I think that you wont be able to imagine that your child has died if you don't have a child to imagine dead and faking it wouldn't work either. A bad actor would picture his/her imaginary child dead and show the audience their pretend grief. I think that you have to go by the basic emotion, not what the plot says happened. A dead child is simply grief and I could easily imagine losing my little sister. I don't know if I'm moving in the right direction here. I'm curious to see what Luke's answer was.

1 comment:

  1. BINGO! Exactly!

    The words, the plot, that is one thing, what the audience hears. What YOU HEAR, in your heart, in your head, that is ONLY for you, what moves YOU. Now, if you could imagine a child you don't have dying, and it works, then great, god bless. And actually, with time, that will come if it does come. In the meantime, you move to the secret music of your own heart, the secret music of your own soul. THe audience will see the dance, attach the words you say to it, and THEY will put it together and there it is - theatre, acting. Perfect and felt.

    A dead child IS simply grief. As long as we show REAL grief, and say our lines (give our clues) clearly, the audience will get it.

    But beyond this, there is something else that happens which is quite magical. Maybe we will get a taste of it in the next few weeks.

    "I used to try to "act" like I understood, make myself believe I was getting it."

    Ah! Remember I said in class today that you cannot lie your way into good acting. If it doesn't work for you, you have to admit it. You can't lie to the doctor if you want to get the right medicine. We cannot approach truthful behavior built on a lie regarding it. Look what happens when you admit this, suddenly you open up and understand. You dump yourself out, and then you fill up. It is the way it works.

    Sometimes it takes a few years. It is very very hard to hear, because it is SO simple and SO obvious. "COuld it be that simple??? It can't be that simple." It is so simple you don't even comprehend it, but then when you do, it's like, "Well, duh! That is so simple." It took me til I was 35 I think. You're already going faster.

    Warm regards,
    Luke

    ReplyDelete